Thursday, May 5, 2011

I Feel Lucky

So as I mentioned before, my parents came to visit! I was so happy to see them, since I had missed them so much! It was wonderful to have a piece of home in Dublin, and I loved being able to show them around the city.

It was cool to be able to show them where I live, and now when we Skype they can actually picture me in my apartment, since they know what's behind me. They had an awesome apartment that just happened to be right across the street from mine, and it was great to be able to just go over there and hang out with them.

We also got to see a lot of our extended family who came out from Mayo and Meath to see us, which was great! We had awesome dinners and lunches, and got to go up to Skreen Hill to see the ruins of a beautiful old Church. We were just next to the Hills of Tara, where the first Kings of Ireland lived!

We also toured Kilmainham Jail, something that has been on my to-do list for quite a long time. I wish I had done it at the beginning of my time here- I learned so much about Irish history and all the events in Dublin that eventually lead to Irish independence. The good thing about doing it when I did though, was being able to picture the places they talked about so vividly and have a geographical understanding of the revolution.

My Dad's first cousin Sal and her husband Pat took us on a special treat- we went inside the Dail Eireann, our version of Congress. We got to eat in the big government building that I walk by all the time, as well as sit in on question time with the new Taioseach. It was a really cool experience, and I'm so lucky to have had it!

It was hard to say goodbye to my parents, since I really do miss them so much. It was also crazy to think that from the day I said goodbye to them to when I come home was shorter than the whole amount of time I spent in Kenya. I think that's when it really hit me that I will be coming home soon, and looking back on that now it seems like forever ago. My time here is so limited!

No comments:

Post a Comment