Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Born To Run

So last week, after a lot of deliberation, I made a big life decision: I’m going to run a half-marathon. In Providence in August.
My favorite response to my decision has to go to my friend Anne: “you mean like… running?” I know my pure athletic skill and grace make this such a simple task, so I really won’t have to train very hard for it…






… NOT.

I am actually one of the least athletic and least graceful humans alive, but I decided to run a half-marathon. I have been saying for a long time that I want to get in shape, but I wasn’t consistently doing anything about it. I felt that I needed an attainable, tangible, definite goal to reach in order to make an actual difference, so after some googling and research, I found the “Run Rock and Roll” Half-Marathon Series, and their first one in Providence will be August 7th.

I’m starting to train now- which means I’m being extra careful about what I’m eating and drinking, and oh yes, I’m running. Since the only exercise I’ve really gotten since I’ve been here has been walking all over the city, it’s definitely been a struggle, but I make myself run every day. Marissa, one of my best friends here, is a cross-country runner and helps me to motivate myself, so with the combination of her encouragement and my growing discipline and determination, I know I can conquer this challenge. Any tips, suggestions, or support is welcome, and hopefully after a few weeks I will no longer be driving the strugglebus while I’m running, and it will get easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment